Apricot Dessert

When we moved to our house 3 years ago, we were very happy to meet the new neighbors.  But little did we know that the AWESOMEST neighbor of not just our block, but easily the city, possibly the world, and the galaxies far-far away, is actually right across the street from us.

If he borrows your car keys – it’s only to give your car a “quick rinse”; if his ladder is out – no doubt he’ll offer to wash your windows; if your father-in-law is bored – The Awesomest Neighbor will take him for sightseeing.  And the list goes on and on!

Moreover, he is the most grateful recipient of all the things I bake.   Not only does he find the best words to praise them, he can also chow down 2-3…-4 helpings of my desserts in one sitting; which is probably 2-3…-4 times more than what your daily calorie intake should be.

So, since we are in this healthy eating craze, our dear friend, The Awesomest Neighbor, will have to go on a diet too (at least when stopping by this household)…  Milton, I hope you keep visiting us [keep asking for our car keys/call us when Costco offers “killer deals”/volunteer to babysit …]  after you try these no-sugar-no-butter-no-flour desserts.

Print this recipe

• 350 g organic dried apricots
  • ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes

Process apricots through a meat grinder.  Place ground apricots on a cutting board lined with parchment paper.  Cover with a plastic wrap and roll into a flat sheet about 5 mm thick.  Cut into domino-sized rectangles with a pizza cutter.

Dip each slice in coconut flakes.

Store in an air-tight container.

1. dianeskitchentable says:

Oh these look yummy & I’ll have to make some. My daughter & husband both love anything w/coconut & so easy… Is it possible that Milton might want to relocate to the East coast? Just asking….

• Anastasia says:

He actually moved here from the East coast many years ago. But don’t try to get any more information about Milton from me – we are prepared to be very secretive, as we don’t him to be lured into another neighborhood! ;-)

2. mythineats says:

I love apricots, it’s a snack I always have in the house and eat when I am craving something sweet. I will have to try this recipe.

3. cookandbaker says:

Seems delicious, and so simple to prepare! I’ve had a sudden flavour memory (don’t know if this is a condition or something ;) ) – I can somehow imagine the taste in my mouth right now, but isn’t there a hint of sourness that’s missing? I’m thinking something like a little bit of juice from a fresh lemon.

4. Shira says:

Oh yum, two of my most favorites! This looks delicious Anastasia…definitely going to make these – just too brilliant!

5. Anonymous says:

I’m on Milton’s team… I also welcome anything you bake and/or cook anytime… diet or not! Luckly for my waist I don’t live across the street from you :)

6. steph.1628@yahoo.com says:

Hello! :-) These look like such a simple healthy snack to make BUT unfortunately I don’t own a meat grinder…do you think I’d be able to use a food processor instead?

• Anastasia says:

I think so, though, I would add a little liquid to it – may be some lemon or orange juice – just a few tablespoons should do.

7. Nuts about food says:

This is a great idea although I don’t have a meat grinder or a foodprocessor… I hope to be purchasing another one of the latter very soon so am bookmarking this.

8. DoubleR says:

Thanks for visiting Good Penmanship! Now, if only we could figure out how to transmit some of this delicious looking food through the blogosphere…

9. CJ says:

This looks delicious and so simple to prepare. I avoid making desserts so often because it gets so complicated. Regular cooking for me allows me room to play around but in baking and making desserts it seems like a much more exact science. This recipe looks simple and tasty! (I think I will give it a try!)

Also wanted to say thank you for the likes on my blog. I have just started blogging and every like means a lot to me! Thanks again. Also you have a beautiful daughter! (who seems to love these little, sweet snacks!)

10. Our Kitchen Inventions says:

How small the world actually is…I read your great post yesterday and then you “liked” ours! Kinda scary, eh?!?!

These treats look fabulous and so easy to make. Definitely a Try This One recipe.

Thanks for stopping by to “like” our blog. Hope you come back to visit!

11. Ellen says:

I have to agree with you on your views of Milton, he is the most helpful person ever, and I can only imagine him stopping in to tell you about the deal of the day and to see what is cooking. Milton has an older brother that could out eat him anyday, I know this as I married the man almost 34 years ago.
    Lucky Milton to have a neighbor as yourself, and I must say he praises you as much as you praise him.
    Ellen (Miltons sister-in-law)
    Who will be following your wonderful blog

• Anastasia says:

Thanks so much for stopping by! The whole neighborhood and even our friends are huge fans of Milton! From what I hear you married into a huge and fun family! We hear stories about you guys all the time!

• Lynn says:

You’ve both captured the essence of Milt perfectly. He can’t do enough for the people around him. I am Milt’s oldest sister and have watched his maniacal functioning (always for the good) for years. We only wish he’d relax for himself a little more.
      The recipes look wonderful, Anastasia!

12. Messy Jessie says:

I too have some pretty amazing neighbors. It really makes you feel like part of a community when you get along with your neighbors! If you were mine, I’d swap yummy healthy treats all the time! Although I think I’d win in the deal, since yours look so delicious:)

• Anastasia says:

Thanks Jessie,

But I’m not sure about the winners – your recipes don’t just look gorgeous, they also sounds super healthy! My relationship with baked goods is too strong. Nothing can break us apart, even an ambitious healthoholic husband!

13. cakeboule says:

These are so different to anything I have seen before! They look great and as for getting on well wth the neighbours mine is my best friend so I am very lucky also. Must try these.

14. Sacha says:

So simple, so lovely! I love your photographs, and this looks like the perfect sweet treat for an apricot lover like me.

• Anastasia says:

Ohm.. He actually didn’t hesitate to down half of the apricot candies I made… ;-) so, he is still in good spirits ;-) Now, to you – are you writing fiction or everything around you is so captivating in real life?

15. Daily Dose of Fresh says:

Hi there! thanks for visiting my blog. I’m your newest fan. What a fantastic blog that you have going here. Your pictures are sensational and the recipes are to die for, keep up the good work!
    I will have to try these apricot bars this weekend, they look great.