Buckwheat Patties with Roasted Vegetables

Since we stopped eating meat, our fridge changed drastically.  We always brought the majority of our groceries from the local farmers markets.  Now our fridge looks more like the farmers markets moved in!  We probably can easily feed ourselves, another family, a few neighbors, and a small cow.

My men do most of our shopping.  It was only logical that they decided that a couple chicken breasts could be easily replaced with some extra fruit and vegetables… So, in addition to our usual stock, now every week I’m facing about 3 bonus bags of greens, 2 cabbages, 3 different kinds of kale, and a box of mandarins.  Seems sufficient…

The ladies of the house do their job too by filling up kitchen cabinets with grain.  Russian national diet is unthinkable without rye, wheat, barley, millet, or buckwheat; for some reason they seem even more important to me now…

The idea of today’s dinner partially came from The Resilient Chef.  The post that inspired it helped me realize that by slightly adjusting the recipes based on what’s available in the kitchen, I can stop worrying about wasting food, and start emptying that overcrowded fridge… and , yes honey, the cabinets as well…

Print this recipe

• Various vegetables from the fridge (root vegetables work great)
  • 2 tbs rosemary leaves
  • Juice of 2 lemons
  • ½ cup olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • ¼ tsp black pepper
  • ¼ tsp salt

• 2 cups buckwheat cooked in salted water
  • 4 oz goat cheese
  • ½ cup yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tbs flex seeds, ground
  • ½ cup bread crumbs (optional)

• 1 cup fresh cilantro
  • 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 425⁰F /220 ⁰C.

Prepare the vegetables: cube the vegetables, considering the time it takes to cook them: larger chunks for fast-roasting items, and smaller chunks for longer-roasting stuff.

Prepare the dressing by combining lemon juice, olive oil, pressed garlic, salt, and pepper.  Coat the vegetables with the dressing, and sprinkle with rosemary leaves.  Toss everything well.  Place in a baking sheet, cover with foil, and bake for about 15 minutes.  Remove foil, and bake for another 5 minutes to get the crust.  Check the vegetables on readiness, and adjust cooking time and temperature if needed.

Prepare the buckwheat patties: combine all the ingredients but bread crumbs, and mix well.  Make patties.  If desired, roll them in the bread crumbs.  We like to use Panco.  Fry in olive oil on medium high heat for about 4 minutes on each side.

Make ahead: the uncooked patties could be frozen in an air-tight bag for up to 3 months.

Prepare the cilantro sauce: process all the ingredients in a food processor.  Adjust the flavors by adding salt and pepper.

1. susannye says:

Anastasia – I’ve made zucchini pancakes, corn cakes and risotto cakes … these look yummy! Thanks for sharing! – Susan

2. Shira says:

Looks amazing! I LOVE buckwheat and your veggies and sauce sound sooooo good! Love the addition of goat cheese to the patties….Anastasia this looks all too delicious!

3. notchangingmyname says:

The food looks great, but I must also take a moment to admire the photos themselves! Since I’ve been blogging my lame attempts at cooking I’ve come to really appreciate just how hard it is to take a good photograph…especially with a cell phone! Your photos are amazing. Did you take them yourself?

4. dianeskitchentable says:

You always make everything look so beautiful and delicious. I like how you roast the veggies in foil in the oven. I’ve been dying waiting for my husband to fix our grill so that I can start grilling vegetables again though (hmmm, does your wonderful neighbor fix grills?)

• Anastasia says:

Hah! He fixes car batteries, not sure about the grills ;-) It’s always so cold in San Francisco, we rarely bother with an outdoor grill..

5. Laurence says:

Glad to meet you and your blog.
    I’m a french mom who live in the USA ( San Francisco ) and who leave to Russia ( St-Petersbourg ) very soon. My family is so excited about this project and I’m sure to come again here to cook some russian recipes ^^
    If I can ask you a question : where do you come from Russia ?
    However your blog & recipes sounds very very good and yummy. Love many of them.
    Hope see you soon ^^
    Laurence **

6. Ben Leib says:

This looks amazing and healthy. I’ve been eating canned and fried food on the boat for the past ten days, and it’s gotten to that point where I’m just craving something fresh.

7. Wheat Free GG says:

Hi Anastasia!
    Thank you for visiting my blog and liking my very first post! Your page is a treat, and this recipe looks amazing. I am a major fan of fresh cilantro and use it in many things, and look forward to trying this recipe. My dietary needs restrict grains, and allow meat, but this is such a great base of a recipe that it will convert well, I think. Best Wishes!