Russian Friday – Bubliki

I bet you didn’t know we have bagels in Russia! They are called bubliki and the same concept of boiled dough used in their preparation.  Furthermore, when Russian bubliki are made by me, they even look like American bagels. In real life the holes are a little bigger, and the texture is a little denser.

The goal of this particular project was to make them healthier.  I used sprouted whole wheat flour, and the whole family was pleased with the result.  These bubliki turned out soft and airy, yet chewy – perfect!

Print this recipe

• 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
  • 2 cups water, warm
  • 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 3 cups unbleached bread flour
  • 3 cups sprouted wheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • topping (optional) – poppy, sesame seeds, or other

Yields 12 bagels

Dissolve the yeast in the water and add the sugars. Let sit for about 10 minutes.  Mix the remaining ingredients until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead, adding more flour as necessary, until smooth. Cover the dough with a damp towel, and let it rest for about 20 minutes.

Divide the dough into 12 balls, make holes in them with your thumb and spread the holes with your fingers to make them really wide – they will shrink when cooking.

Dust a tray with cornmeal and place bagels on it.  Cover lightly with a dump towel and/or plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes.  Refrigerate for about 12 hours.

Remove the bagels from the refrigerator. Let them rest at room temperature for about 45 minutes. Bing a large pot of water to a rolling boil, and preheat the oven to 450°F/230⁰C.

Boil bagels for about 1 minute on each side – two at a time.  Remove them with a spotted spoon and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.  Sprinkle with your favorite topping, if you wish to.  Bake the bagels for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they’re golden brown.  Remove them from the oven, and cool on racks.

If you do make some bubliki for your family, I suggest this Russian movie to go with them! На здаровье!

1. reflexenbandouliere says:

I’ve done a recipe few months ago and we really love that … with healthier flour too, it’s really better ! However love the taste of gluten free flours like brown rice or quinoa fluor, organic ^^
    I really want to try the sprouted wheat flour, not gluten free but I believe it could be also good in bagels.
    See you and enjoy your weekend.

• Anastasia says:

Here is what wikipedia says, so it may come from your lands: “Bagels, being a type of bublik, are first mentioned in 1610 in Jewish sources in Krakow as a common gift to women after childbirth,[1] while the first mention of the obwarzanek dates to the year 1394 along with a note that obwarzanek “should be between 12 and 17 centimeters in diameter, weigh 80 to 120 grams and its color should range from golden to light brown”.”

2. Flying Yenta says:

Love the presentation of bubliki! Speaking of Russian baking, do you have a good recipe for Russian rye bread? Have been looking for one for a bread machine for a while now.

3. sayantani says:

you know in india when we were kids we used to read Bengali (regional language) translation of many russian fairy tales and folklores. i still remember a princess named Anastasia and the beautiful illustration of her with golden cascading hair and beautiful big eyes. your name reminded me of those days. amazing blog you have here Anastasia. the bubliki looks perfect.

4. Chuck says:

This actually looks simple enough for someone like me to make! And of course, who doesn’t love bagels?

5. dianeskitchentable says:

You have got to be the most ambitious cook I know of but you do make this sound easy enough. I never would have thought to make my own bagels but I think you’ve just changed my mind.

6. Lisa at fLVE says:

Looks delicious. I like bagels only once in a while because they tend to be so heavy, but this one sounds great. may have to try it. thank you for sharing. :)

7. flyfishbrat says:

I love your recipes and your blog. I have nominated you for the “Versatile Blogger Award” Congratulations and thank you for the wonderful recipes.

• Akhil says:

no no no! it’s gravlAx, with an A.I’m from sweden, we eat graavd lax (as it usually is called) all the time. (TIP) it’s great in toast (sandwiched, preferably white wheat sour dough bread), with a mozzarella slice and some tomato… yum!

8. fsszj says: has awarded you The Liebster Blog Award! Liebster means ‘beloved’ in German!

The award comes with the following rules:
    1. Thank the giver and link back to them.
    2. Reveal your top five picks {with less than 200 readers} and let them know by leaving a comment on their blog.
    3. Copy and paste the award on your blog. Share 7 random things about yourself.
    4. Hope that the people you’ve sent the award to forward it to their five favorite up-and-coming bloggers and keep it going! Enjoy the Love!

Nominate 5 or so blogs that have under 200 followers
    It means their blog reaches out and touches the heart and souls of others. Keep up the good work!

9. champagnewithrosie says:

Hello! Thank you for liking my post on Peachy-Keen Cakes. I popped over to your blog to check out what you were up to and was so impressed by your interesting recipes and the beautiful photographs! I’m just starting out in the world of blogging and am finding it such an inspirational place!
    Will keep dropping by! Rosie x

• Anastasia says:

Well, we are not whole-grain purists by any means, and sprouted flour is a little too heavy. If you look at most of my bread recipes – I mix whole grain with unbleached all-purpose or bread flour.