My kids look nothing like me. The daughter would probably even fail our DNA test. My mom comforts me that her ears look like mine.  Ears!?  Really!? Well, I don’t know about ears, but we surely have one thing in common: our love for carbs.

Here is a beautiful dish we both enjoy. Mix the batter the night before, and an easy breakfast is ready to be made in the morning.

/Adopted from Allrecipes.com/

Print this recipe

• 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 3 cup warm milk
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled to lukewarm
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 egg whites

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm milk. Let stand for about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the warm milk and the melted butter. Mix in the yeast mixture, sugar, syrup, salt and vanilla. Stir in the remaining 2 1/2 cups milk alternately with the flour. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap.

Make ahead: place the batter and covered egg whites in the fridge overnight.  Remove from the fridge about 30 minutes before baking the waffles.

If baking right away, let the batter rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks; fold into the batter.

Preheat the waffle iron (I bought mine at Williams-Sonoma). Spray with oil and spoon about 1/2 cup onto center of iron. Close the lid and bake until it stops steaming and the waffle is golden brown. Serve immediately or keep warm in 200 degree oven.

1. Conor Bofin says:

Excellent photographs and delicious looking breakfast. It beats the muesli and yoghurt I will be having tomorrow. I love the DNA test comment.

2. Sara says:

Making the batter the night before really is the best idea–no slogging through measurements half awake! Gorgeous pictures!

3. dianeskitchentable says:

I love breakfast meals that can be prepped the night before (I can’t even see until about 10:00 am). But I’m with everyone else – what kind of waffle maker do you have? Mine just does boring old squares with indents…sort of like what you’d find in the frozen section.

4. melissa says:

I’m not sure I understand. It only has to sit for 30 minutes if its cold from the fridge but an hour of made right away? Or is it 30 minutes plus an hour if from the fridge? Thanks for the recipe. It looks wonderful. :)

• Anastasia says:

If you cook right away – let the batter ferment for about 1 hour. If you leave it in the fridge overnight, get it out of the fridge and let ferment for about 30 minutes. The fridge doesn’t stop the fermentation, it just slows it down, so just 30 minutes should be sufficient. Does it make sense?

5. mycookinglifebypatty says:

Yes, me too! Interesting waffle iron you’ve got there. Looks like it really holds the butter and syrup! This looks like an excellent recipe. I’ve never made waffle batter with a yeast-based dough before.