Things To Do With Kids – Gardening

It surely wasn’t San Francisco weather, it was the calendar, that reminded me of all the amazing months we spent at babushka’s every year: playing in her beautiful garden; eating cherries, apples, and pears fresh off the trees; picking the sweetest strawberries EVER… and slaving, slaving, slaving in the vegetable garden.

Ohm.. Our hose was useless since the water pressure was so low. We filled huge buckets with water over night, and irrigated the whole plantation manually. And if that was not enough – there were also disgusting tasks – like picking up bugs from the potato leaves, or tortures tasks like pruning. So, you can imagine my love for growing all things green – there isn’t any!

Once in a while I would buy a huge plant at The Home Depot and put the black plastic container it comes with into a nice ceramic one.That’s been my idea of gardening for years.

photo 1 (2)

During my mom’s visits here, such plants would be watered on regular basis and somewhat loved (by mom). Then she would leave. The plant would survive (miraculously or because of whatever drugs The Home Depot stuffs it with) for a few months, and then I’d have to replace it with a new one.

The food blogging community touched some strings in me, that I thought didn’t exist. So, this year, the kids and I planted some herbs and flowers.  This time, I controlled the amount of stuff we are going to grow (or kill).

photo 2

Luckily, our San Francisco yards are tiny. Strangely enough, the kids love to water the new greens. Don’t ask me why. Silly things! They also keep looking for pixie dust, and leave cookies and milk for ferries before going to bed. Sorry, Santa.

1. dianeskitchentable says:

Oh you sound like me with gardening. I get all ambitious & definitely over-do everything & then run out of energy mid-summer. Some things can actually grow despite my efforts but when I ended up with just 4 tomatoes off the 6 plants I bought last year, my husband calculated how many we could have bought at the farm stand down the street for a lot less. Don’t know how some people can grow things – my mother could make a rock grow but that gene didn’t get passed on to me.
    Even if your plants don’t grow, it surely looks like your children are & they are as cute as can be.

• Anastasia says:

;-) Thanks for the children comment, Diane. I think the answer to our problems lays in slave labor – make our children suffer on scheduled basis, and you may end up seeing more tomatoes. Do you think your daughter would be up for that? ;-)

• Ewa "Mom Photographer" says:

my parents made my suffer each year with planting and taking care of our big garden. most of the time I hated it because it meant I couldn’t play with my friends or read books.
        Today, I know a lot about gardening (and I actually love it), veggies, and home-cooking, and everything thanks to the slave labor my parents put me through. I can’t be more thankful to them for that! :)

• Anastasia says:

Ewa, I thought it was just the torturous Russian parents, I guess it’s international ;-) I feel the same about being grateful though – when I talk to my husband I get shocked how little he knows about gardening. he thinks it’s apple season the whole year round just because they have them at the farmers market!

• Ewa "Mom Photographer" says:

my husband use to think that corn comes from, well… a can… seriously.

He is very good in gardening these days but before we met, he was terrible. He didn’t know how potatoes grow, or many other veggies. the story could go on and on… :)

2. daisy | says:

Lovely photos. I’m sure you’ll put all those herbs to good use. Herbs are easy to grow and useful. Great idea! It’s nice to expose your kids to gardening at an early age.

3. Elena says:

Your garden looks so cool! Made me miss having a garden a lot more (we used to have a tiny one back in London).