Things To Do With Kids – Traveling

Last month my children landed in Moscow wearing a perfect shade of San Francisco Pale on their skins. These city kids were raised where outside requires constant adult supervision, they had only minor encounters with nice weather, and were yet to experience a water or electricity outage.

In 3 weeks they were completely transformed into tan Russian-speaking sun-loving kids who had a bite of freedom and lots of bites of freshly grown produce right outside of their great- grandmother’s house!

Their only swimming experience up till now was in a heated pool. I don’t quite get it, but apparently swimming in a river with cousins, fish, ducks and frogs is much more fun!

Grandma’s garden was an endless source of entertainment and nourishment. Apples, cherries, currant, strawberries – and that’s just the begging of the list. The kids had a blast playing in all this lusciousness!

They even found it cool to be washed outside with water heated up by sun.

Though, you should have seen my son’s excitement when he got back home and went to the bathroom: “Есть вода!” (The water is on)! Hmmmm….

Here are some Instagram favorites from the trip. Enjoy!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

1. Tales and Travels of the Tin Man says:

What a beautiful and magnificent trip. What a treasure for your children to receive! I LOVE all the photographs, but must tell you my most very favorite are the clothes on the line and the ladies sitting on the benches. You have warmed my heart with this beautiful trip of yours. The bridge over the stream was incredible. The look of joy and wonderment on the faces of your children tells the entire story. Bless you for having given them this insight into real life.

• Anastasia says:

Thanks so much for your kind words! It was a super fun trip! It seems that babushkas on the bench are everybody’s favorites :-). My cousin and I were just walking by and I saw them. They were flattered when I asked if I could take their picture

• Anastasia says:

What you don’t know, though, is that it was about 30 degrees Celsius (86 F) at that moment; their clothes looked good for a chilly autumn night! Yet, they looked like they were enjoying themselves despite the heat.

2. flyfishbrat says:

Oh my, this blog put a smile on my face and in my heart. They funny thing is you all are complete strangers. Thank you so much for sharing your family’s experience, I truly enjoyed it.

3. angelasommers says:

I totally loved this! What a wonderful time you and your beautiful children had! By the way, I love your recipes too – so wonderfully Old World….

4. Sara says:

These are wonderful pictures! I love how you put the instagram slideshow in your post, I’m going to have to figure that out. I love currants too–they are so hard to find here, but I associate them with Eastern Europe, and last week at the farmer’s market it was me and the Russians buying them (along with the gooseberries). What great photos and memories for your kids!

5. dianeskitchentable says:

What a fantastic post. That first photo of your daughter is so precious & it looks like the kids had so much fun. What a beautiful & creative slideshow – you are a very talented photographer.

6. Daniela says:

Oh my God – the strawberris. They grow wild in the woods in Croatia – roughly translated they are called “forest strawberries.” I haven’t seen them in years. Thanks so much for sharing your adventures and recipes. Thanks also for the like on my blog.

• Anastasia says:

I think those are the same type on the pictures, in Russia they are not called strawberries (klubnika) at all, they are called “zemlyanika”; and my grandma actually has the domesticated kind.
      I just planted some in a pot in my front yard, but San Francisco summers are not sunny enough – we get 3-4 berries a week only…